Save Money on Your Kitchen Remodeling Costs By Refacing your Cabinets Instead of Replacing Them
If you are considering replacing or refacing your kitchen cabinets, you are not alone. In fact, the kitchen is the most popular room in the home to renovate. Additionally, even the simplest of updates, such as new cabinets increase your home’s value. By and large, if you reface your kitchen cabinets, your kitchen will have a new look. In fact, if your cabinets are old, outdated or not functioning, refacing may be a cost effective solution.
Should I Replace or Reface My Kitchen Cabinets?
Not all cabinets are suitable for refacing. However, this doesn’t mean old cabinets are bad candidates. In fact, older cabinets, specifically custom cabinets, have sturdier construction. Because of this, they will accept new veneer, doors, and hardware much easier. On the other hand, refacing may not be an option for old factory manufactured cabinets. Consequently, if your cabinets are old and factory manufactured, refacing may not work. Simply stated, your best option may be to replace your cabinets. This choice will make it easier in the future to update and change styles. In other words, you could reface them in the future.
What types of Kitchen Cabinets Can You Reface?
- First, cabinets made from plywood or medium-density fiberboard panels are good candidates for refacing. Because the new wood veneers can adhere to them.
- Second, your current cabinets need a good face frame. In other words, mad of good solid hardwood. Generally speaking, veneers will adhere to solid wood. Also, the doors will anchor better.
- Third, your cabinets need to be functioning properly. This would include, all internal hardware, drawer tacks, and internal storage racks. Keep in mind that refacing only impacts the exterior of your cabinets. Consequently, if you are looking for more space or storage options, custom cabinets would be perfect for you.
The Benefits and Drawbacks of Refacing
Looking at the benefits and drawbacks of refacing your kitchen cabinets is important. After all, cabinet refacing has advantages and limitations, including:
Advantages of Kitchen Cabinet Refacing
- Refacing is perfect if your current kitchen layout meets your needs and desires.
- Additionally, your design options are endless. Not only are there dozens of style options, but there are also natural and laminated woods to choose from.
- As stated previously, refacing is cost-effective. In fact, refacing can give you the look of new cabinets at half the cost of custom cabinets. However, costs need to be carefully considered. To put it another way, haven’t we all run into hidden costs that can add up fast?
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing Drawbacks
- No layout changes are possible. Moreover, if you are looking for a footprint change in your kitchen, this is not an option for you. To clarify, refacing does not allow for changing the layout or counterspace.
- Cabinet box interiors do not change. In other words, the interior of your cabinets do not change. As stated earlier, refacing changes the cabinet exterior. So, if you are looking for additional storage, custom cabinets are the way to go.
- If you need new doors, drawers, fronts, hinges, or hardware, the cost will go up. As a result, you will not save as much as you would like. In other words, you may spend the same amount as new custom cabinets.
Cabinet refacing can be a great, cost-effective option. Provided that your existing cabinets are well constructed and in great shape. However, if you are looking for structural changes, custom cabinets are a better option. To summarize, the question of replacing or refacing is dependent on the state of your cabinets, and your functional and aesthetic needs.
Should I Reface My Kitchen Cabinets?
For More Information, Contact Southwest Restoration
When it comes to replacing or refacing your kitchen cabinets, trust the experts at Southwest Restoration. In fact, whether you are interested in new custom cabinets or refacing, we can help! In business since 1988, we have completed thousands of kitchen cabinet projects. As a result, we can help you determine if refacing is viable for you. Moreover, we are committed to your complete satisfaction. As such, we will work to make sure your project is completed on time and budget. In the long run, we are the local, family owned remodeling and restoration contractor you can trust. We look forward to working with you, contact us today for a free estimate.
Our Remodeling Services Include:
- Home Remodeling
- Condo Remodeling
- Kitchen Remodeling
- Bathroom Remodeling
- Kitchen Cabinets
- Bathroom Cabinets