Mold is Common in Homes and Businesses.
Mold is so common in homes and businesses that unless there is a problem, we don’t think about it. Even the cleanest homes or businesses can hide mold. There are over 100,000 different types of mold and some are more harmful than others. Mold may even be responsible for your ongoing allergy problems or headaches. If your property has a moisture problem, mold will grow. From warning signs and prevention to exposure and visibility, it is important to understand 6 key facts about mold.
1. Mold is Everywhere in Florida
There is always some mold present on surfaces and in the air. Mold needs moisture, humidity, warm temperatures, organic materials to feed on, time and oxygen to grow. With summertime temperatures exceeding 90 degrees, plenty of rain and high humidity, our climate provides the ideal conditions for mold to grow. Roofs, pipes, walls or any area that has had a water intrusion or a leak is at risk for producing mold. Small amounts of mold spores are present in most homes and businesses and can go unnoticed. Health risks arise if the mold grows and multiplies.
2. It only Takes 48 to 72 Hours for mold to Grow and Multiply
Mold grows at a rapid pace and can spread through your house or business within 48 – 72 hours of water intrusion and damage. There are several warning signs that mold may be growing and multiplying in your property. First and foremost, mold can typically be seen and smelled. If an area consistently smells musty, chances are you have mold in that area.
3. Long Term Exposure to Mold can Damage Structures and Cause Serious Health Problems.
A mold infestation can cause serious health issues and impact the value of your property, making it critical to get rid of the mold as soon as possible. Health risks arise if the mold in your property grows and multiplies. Exposure to higher levels of mold can lead to a variety of health issues including:
- Abdominal Pain, Bloating & Diarrhea
- Asthma and Allergy Symptoms
- Difficulty Concentrating, Memory Problems & Disorientation
- Fatigue & Weakness
- Headaches & Increased Thirst
- Lightheadedness, Vertigo
- Possible Infections & Nose Bleeds
- Red Eyes, Tearing, Blurred Vision
- Stiffness & Joint Pain
- Tingling, Numbness, Unusual Skin Sensations
4. There are Signs that Mold is Present
There are several warning signs that mold may be growing and multiplying in your home or business. Common signs that mold is present include:
- A Musty, Moldy Odor
- Visible Signs of Water Damage or Dampness
- Mold Indications in the Attic
- Smudged Areas
- Signs of Water Problems
- Water Leaks, Past Flooding or Signs of Condensation
- Discolored or Stained Walls
- Black Spots
- An Increase in Negative Health Symptoms
5. Mold Can Be Hidden from View
Mold can be hidden on your property and grow before you see any noticeable signs it exists. If mold is growing in your walls or ceilings, there may be no visible signs. By the time you start feeling the impact of mold on your health, the mold has been growing for a while and will multiply daily;
6. Mold Growth Can Be Prevented
Moisture, humidity, a food source and warm temperatures cause mold growth. Controlling food sources can be challenging as almost any organic material is a food source including wood, carpeting, leather and wood all commonly found in homes and businesses. You can prevent mold growth by:
- Preventing Water Leaks
- Repairing Water Leaks or Water Damage Quickly
- Keeping the Humidity Level of your property as Low as You
Contact Southwest Restoration for Additional Information
At Southwest Restoration we know how essential your home, your business, your family and your health are to you. If you feel you may have a mold problem, contact Southwest Restoration immediately. We do whatever it takes to return your life to normal with minimal disruption. You can count on us for 24/7 Emergency Service with 30-minute response time: