Is it dangerous to live in a house that has mold?

Due to our tropical climate, having mold in your Florida home is common ground for many homeowners.   The question that some Floridians wonder is, “Is it dangerous to live in a house that has mold?”   While not all mold is worrisome, there are certain types of molds that can be extremely toxic and can cause health problems for some people.

Visible mold, such as seeing mold in the shower or under the sink, is easy to clean up.  However, if you have had leaks in your roof, leaky pipes, or an area that has had water intrusion, your home is at risk of producing mold in areas that may not be visible.  Examples of these areas can include attics, wall interiors, near foundation air vents or in air ducts.  If this happens, mold can grow within 24 hours of moisture being present in your home.  Additionally, it only takes 48 to 72 hours for that mold to multiply.  If this is left untreated, the mold can spread to other areas of your home and may cause health problems and costly home repairs.  While the structural damage mold causes are bad, the health hazards are much worse.

Symptoms of Mold Exposure

Mold can irritate anyone, even if you do not have an allergy to mold. Some of the most common symptoms of mold exposure include:

  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • Red or Itchy Eyes
  • Nasal Congestion
  • Postnasal drip

Mold can also trigger or worsen asthma symptoms, including:

  • Wheezing
  • Dry Cough
  • Chest Tightness
  • Shortness of breath

Professional, Safe & Affordable Mold Remediation in Southwest Florida

If you think your Southwest Florida home or business has mold, contact Southwest Restoration for mold remediation. We are your local experts for all types of mold removal and remediation services. No matter what the cause was, or the level of severity, our team is ready to help you bring your property back to normal quickly, safely, and affordably.